There’s a reason that so many people, historically, have been quoted talking about their moms at one time or another. As important as the fatherhood role is, too, our mothers are the first to teach us about love; that love is clear in these 18 quotes about moms by famous people, dead and alive.
From presidents to poets, read these 18 celebrities’ quotes about moms, and grab the Kleenex!
1. Sophia Loren (Romilda Villani)
“Is my mother my friend? I would have to say, first of all she is my Mother, with a capital ‘M’; she’s something sacred to me. I love her dearly…yes, she is also a good friend, someone I can talk openly with if I want to.”
2. Abraham Lincoln (Nancy Hanks Lincoln)
“I remember my mother’s prayers, and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.”
3. Leonardo DiCaprio (Irmelin Indenbirken)
“My mother is a walking miracle.”
4. Lady Gaga (Cynthia Germanotta)
“Acceptance, tolerance, bravery, compassion. These are the things my mom taught me.”
5. Booker T. Washington (Jane Ferguson)
If I have done anything in life worth attention, I feel sure that I inherited the disposition from my mother.”
6. Mary Anne Evans, a.k.a., George Eliot (Christiana Evans)
“Life began with waking up and loving my mother’s face.”
7. Robert Browning (Sarah Anna Wiedemann)
“Motherhood: All love begins and ends there.”
8. Drake (Sandi Graham)
“My mother is an incredible woman. She’s brought me to this point single-handedly… She’s the most important person in my life.”
9. Michael Jordan (Deloris Jordan)
“My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, and that is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.”
10. Maya Angelou (Vivian Baxter Johnson)
“To describe my mother would be to write about a hurricane in its perfect power. Or the climbing, falling colors of a rainbow.”
11. James Joyce (Mary Jane Murray)
“Whatever else is unsure in this stinking dunghill of a world, a mother’s love is not.”
12. Oliver Wendell Holmes (Sarah Wendell)
“Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; A mother’s secret hope outlives them all.”
13. Dorothy Canfield Fisher (Flavia Camp Canfield)
“A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary.”
14. Princess Diana (Frances Shand Kydd)
“A mother’s arms are more comforting than anyone else’s.”
15. J.D. Salinger (Miriam Salinger)
“Mothers are all slightly insane.”
16. Honore de Balzac (Anne-Charlotte-Laure Sallambier)
“The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.”
17. William Makepeace Thackeray (Anne Becher)
“Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.”
18. Oscar Wilde (Jane Wilde)
“All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his.”
Now that you’ve had a good cry over other people’s sweet quotes about moms, go call Mom and make up some of your own. Happy Mother’s Day!
Are you celebrating Mother’s Day with your mom? Tell us all about your plans in the comments!
This article was originally written for Our Community Now — Maryland by Ashley Allen.