Spread the Love: Artists to Hide Artwork All Over Denver for World Art Drop Day!
World Art Drop Day is meant to bring people together through random acts of kindness by sharing artwork and creativity. It’s simple: create a piece of art, hide it somewhere around the city, and make somebody’s day. Join in on the fun on Tuesday, September 5.
Created by Jake Parker, World Art Drop Day is all about bringing the community together by sharing creativity. He’s asking all artists in the city to hide a small piece of original art for others to find, using various hints and clues across social media. Basically it’s a giant scavenger hunt occurring around the city of Denver on September 5, and we’re so for it!
The world needs this right now. We need to feel a little more connection to each other, and there’s nothing like the bond two random strangers can make through the act of creating and giving.”
Are you an artist wanting to participate and share your work with others? All you’ve got to do is register and you’ll be set! It’s completely free (minus the cost of supplies). But, if you’re like me and you have zero artistic abilities whatsoever, don’t worry. World Art Drop Day is just as much about those “seeking” than it is for those “hiding”.
Here’s how it works:
- Draw, paint, create a mix on a CD or USB drive, knit a hat or scarf, or whatever your heart desires. Then hide it somewhere.
- Take a photo of the piece of art, the hiding spot, or a combination of both.
- Post the image, the city you dropped it in, and a hint on any social media platform of your choice (Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram). Just make sure you include the hashtag: #artdropday. Also, it’s important that you attach the World Art Drop Day Info Sheet onto the piece of art.
- Then move on, and hope someone finds it. Or, you could stick around and meet your new friend. Totally up to you!
- If you’re the one who finds the artwork, make sure you share a photo of it on social media and use the artist’s same hashtag! You are also allowed to take the piece home afterwards.
That’s all there is to it! Pretty simple, right? It’s a small idea that could bring a lot of love to the city of Denver.
Denver Arts & Venues is encouraging everyone to participate! They’re even getting in on the fun and will be hiding mini versions of the Big Blue Bear (at the Colorado Convention Center) all over the city. Keep an eye out for clues on their Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages.
Adopt a Blue Bear! These miniature Blue Bears are looking for a good home. Housebroken. Good with cats, dogs, children…
Check out Jake Parker’s video from when he did an art drop here in 2015:
Will you be participating either as a hider or seeker for World Art Drop Day? Let us know in the comments below!