Everything You Need to Know About Traffic During the Colorado Classic
The Colorado Classic is rolling in, which means that there will be plenty of road closures and detours throughout Colorado Springs, Breckenridge, and Denver. Here’s everything you need to know about the traffic during the big race.
The Colorado Classic begins on Thursday, August 10, and will come to a close on Sunday, August 13. With such a massive bike race taking place across heavily populated areas, traffic is to be expected. There will be plenty of detours and road closures throughout Colorado Springs, Breckenridge, and Denver all weekend long.
The race is broken into four stages: the first begins in Colorado Springs on August 10, then journeys to Breckenridge on August 11, and remains in Denver for the final two stages on August 12-13.
To make sure your commute is as smooth as possible, with very little hiccups along the way, here’s everything you need to know about traffic going into this weekend:
Stage One: Colorado Springs | Thursday, August 10
- Bijou North- and South-bound off-ramps will be closed August 10, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Highway 24 can be used to access the Westside south of W. Colorado Ave. during the race.
- No access from Highway 24 to W. Colorado on August 10, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- North 31st Street access closed on August 10, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Garden of the Gods
- Closed August 9 from 11 p.m. to August 10 at 5 p.m.
- Park is open to pedestrians and bicycles. All visitors must stay off the race course at all times.
- Park is scheduled to fully reopen at 5 p.m. on August 10, or when race ends.
- Rock Ledge Ranch will be closed until 5 p.m. on August 10.
- Visitor Center will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on August 10. Vehicle access will be from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m., and all exhibits will be open. However, Jeep, trolley, and Segway tours will not be open.
Pikes Peak Ave. (Between Pikes Peak Ave. and Nevada Ave.)
- Closed to vehicle traffic from August 9 to August 10, open at 5 p.m.
- Start and finish of the race.
Downtown Colorado Springs
- Closed to vehicle traffic August 10, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. — includes area between Cascade Ave. and Mesa Road on the east, Tejon Street on the west, Cache La Poudre on the north, and Colorado Ave. on the south.
- Pedestrian traffic limited.
Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center
- Surrounding streets closed August 10, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- An officer will be posted at Dale Street and Cascade Ave. to help people leave the area.
- Closed to vehicle traffic from Nevada Ave. to 30th Street on August 10, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Use Highway 24 (Cimmaron Street) as alternative.
- Officers will be located at: 14th and Colorado Ave., 21st and Colorado Ave., and 26th and Colorado Ave.
Pikes Peak Ave. west of 30th Street
- Closed August 10, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Ridge Road, 30th St., Mesa Rd., Fontmore Rd.
- Closed to vehicle traffic on August 10, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., or when race ends.
- These streets are part of the race route, so streets leading up to the route may also be closed.
Pleasant Valley neighborhood
- Access to area will be restricted on August 10, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Residents in area will be allowed to leave. Can re-enter the neighborhood at 31st Street and Pike Peaks Ave.
- Officers will be posted at 30th and Bijou St., and 30th and Castle Road/Glen Eyrie Circle.
Residents living on Filmore between 30th St. and Mesa, and in La Posada Del Sol on Mesa Rd.
- Access to this area will be restricted on August 10, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Officers will be posted in neighborhoods to escort residents
Kissing Camels neighborhood
- Access from Mesa Rd. will not be allowed on August 10, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Entrance to neighborhood will be available from east side of neighborhood (near King Soopers off Centennial Blvd.)
Residents living south of Colorado Ave.
- Area will not be closed but please expect delays when getting in and out of neighborhood.
For the Breckenridge and Denver closures and detours, please click the next page.